Comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of arterial and venous diseases are performed in the Department of Angiology and Phlebology. It is one-of-a-kind structure in Bulgaria. The Department is a part of the Clinic of Cardiology and Angiology. The joint cooperation of the two disciplines enables a holistic approach in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases and is also unique for Bulgaria. It allows the effective treatment of all forms of atherosclerosis, venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. The Department of Invasive Cardiology is working in cooperation with the Department of Angiology and Phlebology, treating endovascular arterial and venous diseases. The team of the Department consists of five Angiologists and its Head is Professor L. Grozdinski, MD.
The following major diseases can be diagnosed and treated in the department:
All forms of non-coronary atherosclerosis, causing vascular gangrenes and stroke:
- Stenotic and Thrombotic Lesions in cases of peripheral atherosclerosis of the extremities
- Carotid and Brain Atherosclerosis
- Atherosclerotic Disease of the abdominal aorta and its branches – kidney and gastrointestinal
- Acute and Chronic Peripheral Embolism and Thrombosis
- Aortic and Peripheral Arterial Aneurysms
- Inflammatory lesions of the vessels – Buerger, Aortoarteriitis, etc.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and Superficial Thrombophlebitis, Post-Thrombotic Syndrome
- Varicose and Chronic Venous Insufficiency (CVI) of the extremities
- Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI).